Total Pageviews

Friday, January 2, 2015

The Purr-fect Crime (or How Julie Newmar Changed My Life)

It isn't really a long story; after falling in love (or, if not love, at least an intense desire to imitate!) first with Batgirl ...



... and then with Eartha Kitt's amazing Catwoman ...



... but nothing struck me quite as silly as Julie Newmar's Catwoman.  Pow!  No, seriously:  zap!  I started talking like her ... walking like her ... I would have dressed like her, but even I knew that was going too far (until the time I did at a 6th grade pep rally we'll never speak of again).  And though I was a little late to the table with Julie Newmar, once I saw her slinking through museums and clawing open glass display cases and trying to kill Batman with giant magnifying glasses/pit o' tigers/oversized acid-filled coffee cup, purring many a bon mot, such as "Robin?  I'll have him killed ... painlessly of course!" or "Because England swings like a pendulum do ... or does" or "If I were to kiss you, would you think I was ... a bad girl?" I was hooked.  She remains to this day, beside Elizabeth Montgomery's Serena, Barbara Eden's Jeannie II, and Lara Parker's Angelique, top in my echelon of diabolical divas.


Purrrrrfect.














No comments:

Post a Comment